The liver is indeed a unique organ. First, the liver contains one of the only cells that can regenerate itself, the Kupffer cell. This cell and it overall health is a good gauge in the overall functional activity of the liver as a whole. Kupffer cell health decline is associated with a variety of disease states.
The "Magical Liver"
- Performs over 500 different functions each second including fighting off infection, neutralizing toxins, manufacturing proteins and hormones, balancing blood sugar and helping to clot the blood.
- Responsible for fat metabolism
- Breaks down chemical waste
- Associated with immune response
- Major reducer of inflammation in the body
- Health of the liver and some skin disorders
- Responsible for wound healing
- Responds to stress and wound healing
What are some misconceptions people have when it comes to their liver?
That the liver can take lifestyle abuse indefinitely. The liver will show things like age spots also called liver spots or sunspots. Neglect and abuse makes a considerable contribution to poor metabolic function "sluggishness". High body fat and poor liver function are synonymous.
Are there certain predispositions that make you more at risk for liver disfunction? If so, what?
- Being dehydrated
- Consistent alcohol consumption
- Processed sugars
- Processed foods
- Saturated fats
- Poor stress management
- Circadian rhythm disruption (sleep deprivation)
- Synthetic sweeteners
- Certain food preservatives
- Prescription drugs
- Certain supplements
- Indigestible fats
- Extreme lifestyles
In ancient Greece, the liver was considered the seat of the emotions. Chinese have it as the organ that holds anger. In modern society along with the cardiovascular system the liver is asked to do more and more.
Liver enzymes are in most every case from cancer to heart and coronary disease abnormal. It would be reasonable for one to assume if the liver is truly healthy all must be well.
25% off the Lean Body Academy use code
Lean Body Academy Memberships We are World Wide - Ask about Family, Group or Corporate plans